The lower section of the Rouge River extends from the Ford turning basin downstream to the Detroit River. The Old Channel includes only the area around Zug Island.
Sediment to be remediated: 105,000 cubic yards
Contaminants: PAHs and NAPL
Method: Dredging, capping, and habitat restoration
Partners: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and Honeywell International Inc.
Cost: $50 Million
Note: An underwater cap will be placed where dredging is not feasible due to underwater utilities and other hazards. Habitat restoration will focus on spawning for locally important fish species.
The project is currently in the cleanup stage. More technical information will be provided when it becomes available.
- Press release on contractor selection (PDF, 1p, 88KB) October 2018
- Medina Street fact sheet (PDF, 2p, 359KB) March 2018
- Lower Rouge River Old Channel fact sheet (PDF, 3p, 1MB) March 2018; Spanish; Arabic
- Community needs assessment for outreach (PDF, 25 p, 1.3MB) February 2018
- Lower Rouge River Old Channel fact sheet (PDF, 3p, 267 KB) November 2017
- Rouge River AOC boundary map (PDF, 1p, 158KB) January 2008
- Remedial Action Plan for Rouge River Area of Concern (PDF, 28p, 422KB) January 2008